Here's a typical USS EDSON Plan of the Day
This is from September 1, 1971, our second day on the gunline - and the day I made LT.(jg)!
|UNIFORM OF THE DAY DUTY ASSIGNMENTS|
|Officer & CPO's Working Khaki Duty MA: SK1 ALE|
|Other Enlisted: Dungarees
Duty Div.: M
Carry out the normal underway routine as prescribed in EDSONIKST 5400.3 Except as modified below:
CONTINUE NAVAL GUNFIRE SUPPORT OPERATIONS
0600: Reveille for the Crew Reveille
0730: Muster on station
1300: Advancement Ceremony on Mess Deck. OFFICER CONDUCTING THE EVOLUTION; COMMANDING OFFICER
1830: Refuel starboard side to USS TALUGA
2000: Movie. Crew: THE SECRET WAR OF HARRY FRIGG
CPO: GOODBYE COLUMBUS
1. CONGRATULATIONS. To all being advanced today including our new JG's Messers.
McCLANHAM, KAIN, MURPHY and PIERSON. Cigars around for all. Also, even though
there are no crows(petty officers) involved, all hands are invited to tack-on the officer's new strips.
2. ADVANCEMENT CEREMONY: This morning for the officers and the following:
ST1 HOEPPENER, GMG2 ONUFER, SM3 MORIN, SM3 TALLMAN, GF3 TASSIN, EM2 PINCOCK,
ETN2 PERRY, FT3 ZEIGLER, BT3 BERKEY....
3 PAYDAY: Reminder: Don't forget to date your pay chits 1 Sept 71
4. GUN LINE. Only on the gun line one day and already we are hearing good things.
Like yesterday our spotter said, "All rounds right on the money, best shooting
I've seen in a long time." This after he has been watching BERKELEY, SHELTON, OKLAHOMA CITY,
BRISBANE and ROGERS shooting the past couple of weeks. Not bad!
While we will be shooting this on-line period there will always be our other ship up here on the DMZ with us.
One ship will always be designated as "Primary Firing Ship", the second as back-up ship. When primary firing ship we must be
ready to shoot at all times, when back-up, we have 15 minutes. The schedule for the next few days for EDSON is as follows:
TODAY - Primary 0900 - 17:30 & 21:30 - 0900 Thursday
Thursday Back-up 0900 - 0900 Friday
Friday - Primary 0900 - 1600 & 2000 - 0900 Saturday
Saturday - Back-up 0900 - Sunday
Sunday - Back-up 0900 - 2000 & Primary 2000 - 600 Monday
5. COMBAT PAY. For August? YES + Whew!
6. CRUISE BOOKS. Will be sold on the Mess Decks during pay day. Get'um while
they are hot!
7. FLU SHOTS. CINCPACFLT(COMMANDER IN CHIEF PACIFIC FLEET) says there is an influenza epidemic in WESTPAC. Therefore flu shots will be given at the end of the pay line this morning. The first one hundred through get them today - the rest in Subic. Be one of the first on your block to get one!
8. NUMBERS. If you're a gunners mate, it is FT it is, if a bachelor, 28, if a brown-bagger, it is 55!